Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Characteristics of Text

After class I was thinking about reading comprehension, mostly on the characteristics of the text. I know that from me the characteristics of the text play a big role on how I read and understand what I’m reading. I like to read for pleasure and what I read for pleasure is nothing like what I read for school. If it’s a history book, it on a subject I’m really interested like WWI, WWII or colonization of the new world. But if the books are non-history books they range from magazine to books like The Da Vinci Code. I also prefer books that have larger text or large spacing in between line, even though this doesn’t make the book necessarily short because they might have more pages, but it helps me read cause I feel like I’m getting through the book faster.

One of the age-level characteristics for kids in the primary grades is the fact that they have a problem with small text. Even though I don’t have problems with small text I do have my text preferences that if are interrupted can cause me to read slower or no understand I can’t imagine how it would affect a first grader. Now I know why my niece, who’s a first grader, gets her homework in large print.


Knowing that people have different preferences, how would recognize a student’s preference? If I did recognize it, what could I do to help that student with his problem? This are question I’ll consider for a while.

1 comment:

Dr. Luongo said...

Isaac,

Nice reflection the class content and its connection to the "real world" of teaching!

I think the best way to find out a text preference of a student is through trial and error. If a student struggles with certain authors or subjects, you may need to examine why. This may include a conversation or informal assessment. Can you think of any other ways? How did you realize what texts work or do not work for you?

Just the fact that you are aware that the characteristics of text affect reading is remarkable.

Thanks for posting!