Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Private vs. Public

Today in class we had a discussion about Montessori schools and the type of education students gets at this alternative schools. Professor Luongo brought a point that caught my attention, she said she attended to private school during her student career but she taught in a public school that provided a great education. Almost like she compared her education with the education at the school she taught. Now the question is, which is better a private education or a public education? Many people have the perception that private schools are simply better but are they? I’ve heard that private schools are better because its privately funded therefore they can provided a better education because they can afford to pay better-qualified teachers. Another legend of private schools is that they have better discipline that public school. I personally can’t speak on the subject because I only attended public schools during grammar school and HS. So while hanging out I asked a few of my friends if they attended public or private schools. Some attended public and some attended private and one attended both. The people that attended the private schools had some really interesting thing to say about their private schools. One guy told me that he wish he went to the public school in his town because he would have taken business classes that the public school offered instead of taking a fourth year of religion he had to take. The girl that attended both private and public school told me she liked the public school better because the public school had better after school program and teachers. I personally don’t know which is better but I’ve heard of private school that have college prep courses like the business classes that my friend wanted to take. I’ve also heard of public schools that have a bad disciple problem, which make is hard for students to learn. I can probably go o forever, I guess the answer to the question would be; it depends on the school.

1 comment:

Dr. Luongo said...

Excellent reflection, Isaac.

This issue really boils down to the individual as well as the educational environment. As with anything, there are GREAT public schools and GREAT private schools. There are also failing private as well as public schools.

Who can say which one is better? I cannot say...