Thursday, January 24, 2008

Technology in the classroom

The video we saw in class definitely opened my eyes to a bunch of new ways to use technology in the classroom. If teacher would have used unconventional method like those to teach when in was in HS I would have loved it. The only time I touched a computer when I was in HS was at home. I did take a computer class but all the things the instructor taught I already knew and most of the time I knew more about computers than the teacher. Come to think of it why would the school have a teacher that knows nothing about computer teaching such a class, that like having someone that knows nothing about baseball coaching the school’s team.

This semester I’m doing my junior field and I’m doing it at the HS I went to. I was so surprised to see that the school is using more technology than they use to. The teacher I was observing use PowerPoint, which was non-existent when I was there, its like they moved from the Flintstone age to the Jetson age. One of the days I visited the students were working on their ends of the semester projects, which was their own PowerPoint presentation for class. It good to see that the school is taking some interest in assimilating technology into the classrooms and into teaching.

3 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Interesting thoughts on educational technology. The fact that you are thinking "out of the box" are exciting to me.

The video was supposed to get you thinking in different ways. All students will learn differently.

The only way education will change is with innovative teachers such as you.

Nice post!

Will said...

Times certainly are changing. More are more "smart rooms" are being introduced in schools around country.

It's almost intimidating, but we can handle it.. and them (students).

sifth said...

You’re certainly right about how schools are improving their use of technology in class. It’s nice to see that more sense modalities are being reached with his method. I certainly plan on using quite a bit of technology in my classroom once I begin teaching next year.