Wednesday, January 30, 2008

WARNING to anyone looking to do sophomore or junior field.

If you live on campus and don’t own a car the best and most logical option would be to apply for a public school in Jersey City. Well think again. Before our fall semester ended I applied to do my junior field during the winter break for two reasons one I live in JC and two I work and go to school fulltime, which leaves me with no time for anything. I had it planed out perfectly. I applied early and I was going to use one of my paid vacation weeks so I can complete the 40 hrs during that week. Well, that plan fell apart quickly. Jersey City’s human resources department took forever with the paper work and didn’t respond to my application until about 4 day before school started. So I used those 4 days and got about 18 hrs done and the experience was fun.

Ok so I thought that since I got about half way through the 40 hrs I would be ok doing a few hours here and there between work and school. Yea right it couldn’t be that easy. A week after my first day I received a call from the department of education. I was told that I could not return to the school until I had taken a physical (that includes a blood test, just in case you’re scared of needles) and without having been finger printed. I thought to myself no problem I can do that, so I asked the lady on the phone how long would it take for all that to clear and her response was and I quote, “Who knows.” Well needless to say I applied for Hudson Catholic, which is a private school in Jersey City. So if you’re looking to do any field experience in JC and you’re pressed for time, think twice.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I had a similar experience with the district I am doing my field experience in. I applied before the the end of the fall semester and because I know a few people I had made the arrangements myself. I did not get placed until 3 or 4 days before the spring semester began and they told me that I had to have a Mantoux Test (lucky for me I had one for work only a month ago). The delay in placement happened because after the board office sent it to the principal of the school she took a while to send it back to the District office. So now I am trying to fit mine in between work and school as well.

Dr. Luongo said...

Isaac,

I am sorry to hear this. I know this is difficult. My advice is do the work in the Catholic school and make sure to have the certification ready for student teaching time.

Thanks for sharing~